When we think of old fashioned Public markets in Buffalo, we think of the Broadway Market. But it wasn't too long ago that there were a handful of them around the city... including in Black Rock.
Where tops is at Grant and Amherst... next to the Scajaquada Expressway.. Once stood the Black Rock Market.
“Built to serve 50,000 families” and “equipped in the finest and most modern manner,” the Black Rock Market came to be after years of lobbying by the Grant-Amherst Political Association, it opened in 1926, and had the same kind of feel of the current Broadway Market, with butchers and produce vendors.
In 1959, the market was torn down to make way for the Scajaquada Expressway. Part of the property where the market once stood is now part of the Tops Market property at Amherst and Grant Streets.